Chris Kamara describes the struggle against language apraxia and inner struggles

Chris Kamara has described the public’s reaction to his diagnosis of apraxia speech as “wonderful,” but he claims his doctors can’t predict whether or not he’ll make progress over time.

The 64-year-old former footballer and Sky Sports analyst appeared to slur his words during last weekend’s Football Saturday broadcast, prompting viewers to send him direct messages on various social media platforms.

In a subsequent tweet, he explained that he suffers from a thyroid condition and has also developed a speech impediment over time.

During an interview on Good Morning Britain, the former athlete thanked family and friends for their support and said he was working with a speech therapist to resolve the issue.

Chris Kamara

What did Chris Kamara do wrong with that speech?

Chris Kamara, a former footballer who played for Leeds United and Bradford City, has revealed he has volunteered to leave his new program on ITV due to recent health problems. Chris has only recently revealed that he suffers from speech apraxia which is why he is taking a sabbatical from Sky Sports and will be leaving on Saturday after working there for more than 20 years.

Kamara also explained that he intends to leave his recent ITV show The Games, but TV executives persuaded him to stay. Chris addressed his decision to leave the show during the premiere and thanked the ITV crew for asking him to stay. Chris also thanked the audience for their support.

The former soccer player explained that there would be times when his language would be difficult to understand and he would make little progress, but there would also be times when it was normal.

They will be working on this project together with veteran commentator Simon Brotherton. They worked together on BBC Radio 5 Live in the late 1990s when he was just getting started in the broadcasting business.

After his audience saw Kamara slurring his words while speaking on television for the past month, Kamara later said that his neurological condition made it difficult for him to speak. Aphasia is a condition that affects a person’s ability to communicate properly and is caused by trauma to the brain.

The condition Chris Kamara suffers from is called apraxia of speech

The NHS Speech and Language Therapy Division defines apraxia as “difficulty performing planned movements”. Apraxia is a neurological disorder that affects motor skills. A person with apraxia may be able to perform unplanned movements, such as yawning, but may not be able to perform planned movements, e.g. B. Opening her lips when prompted.

Chris Kamara, a Football Saturday presenter and former footballer, revealed in March that he was suffering from “apraxia of speaking” after viewers were concerned he appeared to stumble with his words during an appearance on the show. The 64-year-old was a guest on the show.

The article goes on to say that speech requires an intricate set of muscle movement patterns and that speech apraxia is believed to be caused by a malfunction in the part of the brain responsible for organizing these movements.

Chris Kamara, who has been a broadcaster for Sky Sports for 24 years, has announced that he will leave the company at the end of the 2021/22 football season.

According to Chris Kamara’s Twitter, what exactly happened to him and where was he?

Sky Sports fans took to the internet after the Sky Sports broadcaster emerged on Football Saturday to ask him questions about how he slurred his words while speaking on camera.

According to what Kamara posted, he wanted some of you who tweeted today to know that I’m fine and he just wanted to let you know. In addition to my thyroid condition, I also have apraxia of speech and am working to manage it. I’ve been doing this for a while.

Some days it may move a little slower than usual, but other days it’s perfectly normal. I really hope I can win this! His first tweet, sent on Saturday, March 19, has garnered over 160,000 likes, 2,500 retweets and 500 quote tweets since it was posted.

Many more people, including current and former athletes such as Viv Anderson, Steph Houghton and Robert Snodgrass, have offered Kamara their support and words of encouragement via social media.

Chris Kamara
Chris Kamara

sports career

Kamara’s football career began when Portsmouth manager Ian St John realized he was playing for the Navy. After agreeing to pay the Navy a transfer price of £200, St John signed an apprenticeship contract with Kamara in November 1974. Ray Crawford, the youth team coach, told the Portsmouth News that Kamara “was bad in the air, his marking is headstrong and he doesn’t have a lot of positional awareness”, but in a private conversation Crawford revealed to Kamara that he had the potential to to make the first team. In a 0-2 defeat against Luton Town in August 1975, he made his first team debut. Mick Mellows’ knee injury gave him the opportunity. In the following game he was assisted by Bobby McGuinness and scored his first senior goal in a 4-1 loss to Bolton Wanderers. When “Pompey” was demoted in last place from the Second Division in the 1975/76 season, he continued to play football regularly at Fratton Park. In 1976–77 the team narrowly avoided relegation from Third Tier and as a result Jimmy Dickinson, the club’s new manager, traded Kamara to Third Tier opponents Swindon Town for £14,000.

When he got to Swindon, Portsmouth fans sent him death threats and police escorted him to the County Ground. Although Danny Williams, the team’s manager for the 1977/78 season, regularly left him out of the starting line-up, he did score on his debut against Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough. The team’s new manager, Bobby Smith, guided the ‘Robins’ to the semi-finals of the League Cup in 1979/80 and just three points from promotion in 1978/79. After a disastrous start to the 1980/81 season, John Trollope took over and sold Kamara back to Portsmouth for £50,000.

Frank Burrows, who had previously coached Kamara in Swindon, re-signed him to Portsmouth. However, he was transferred again in October 1981 after Brentford manager Fred Callaghan approved a trade for David Crown to go the other way. Kamara was paired with Terry Hurlock as a very devoted midfield pair at Griffin Park. He adapted well in the 1981/82 season and in 1982/83, when Brentford had two top ten finishes, he hit a career-high 11 goals. The team struggled again in 1983/84, just emerging from the third tier relegation zone and then improving in 1984/85 to finish 13th. He took part in a 3-1 defeat by Wigan Athletic at Wembley in 1985 and won one Football League Trophy runners-up medal. In the summer of 1985, after turning down manager Frank McLintock’s offer of an extended one-year contract with the same terms, he made the decision to leave the team.

Despite a damaged hamstring, Kamara returned to Swindon Town in August 1985 for £12,500. Although Kamara missed the first part of the season and only played 23 games, the “Robins” rose from the fourth division as champions in 1985-86 under the direction of Lou Macari. When Swindon defeated Gillingham in the play-offs to earn a second straight promotion, Kamara missed just four games in the 1986–87 season. However, he participated in both the home and away games of the matchup. But after Kamara broke the cheekbones of Shrewsbury Town player Jim Melrose with a blow immediately after a game in the 1987/88 season, she became the first England player to be found guilty of aggravated assault for an incident that occurred on the pitch . He was fined £1,200.

In the summer of 1988, after deciding to turn down Swindon’s offer of a one-year contract, Kamara moved on once more. Instead he teamed up with Mick Mills in Stoke City. At the Victoria Ground he shared a midfield position with Peter Beagrie. He had a successful 1988–1989 season, playing 44 games and scoring five goals, earning him Player of the Year award. Frank McAvennie, a West Ham United player who required ankle surgery after a fight with Kamara on 19 August 1989, tried to sue Kamara for damages but was unsuccessful. Midway through the 1989–1990 campaign, Alan Ball took over for Mills and immediately sold Kamara to Leeds United. He turned down the chance to play for Middlesbrough, the club owned by childhood friend Steve Gibson and managed by Bruce Rioch, opting for Leeds instead.

David Batty, Vinnie Jones, Gordon Strachan and Gary Speed ​​were all present at Elland Road; As a result of the presence of these talented midfielders, Howard Wilkinson routinely benched Kamara.

Kamara helped Leeds win the Second Division title in 1989–1990, but after suffering an Achilles tendon injury in the 1990–91 season he only played a few games in the First Division for the ‘Whites’. His departure from Leeds in November 1991 resulted in the team’s First Division Championship.

After regaining fitness, Kamara joined David Pleat’s Luton Town for a sum of £150,000 to remain in the Premier League.

On the final day of the 1991/92 season, the Hatters were demoted after squandering a 1-0 lead against Notts County to lose 2-1.

Kamara returned to the Premier League in October 1992 after being loaned to Dave Bassett’s Sheffield United.

Although he did not consistently secure a first-team spot during the 1992–93 season, he made the transition from Kenilworth Road to Bramall Lane a permanent one.

He finally signed for Middlesbrough in February 1993, albeit on a short-term loan, before joining United.

He only played five games during his time at Ayresome Park because manager Lennie Lawrence could not afford to sign him on a long-term contract. The Blades were demoted at the end of the 1993–94 season after falling behind Chelsea and falling into the relegation zone on the final day of the regular season.

After Lennie Lawrence, the team’s manager, offered Kamara a position as game manager, Kamara agreed to join Bradford City in the summer of 1994.

Despite Kamara’s promotion to assistant manager in April 1995, the “Bantams” had a difficult 1994–1995 season.