Is he ill? Badass Baseball Manager and Former Player Health and Illness Update

Due to the fact that John Stearns is currently battling a life-threatening illness, his loyal followers are feeling heightened anxiety.

Former baseball player Stearns, known by his nickname “Bad Dude,” is now retired. Between 1975 and 1984, he spent his professional baseball career playing Major League Baseball with the New York Mets.

Stearns was a prolific catcher throughout his career, as evidenced by the fact that he hit 46 home runs. He was voted an All-Star in 1977, 1979, 1980 and 1982, earning him a total of four awards in that category.

After retiring from the sport, Stearns took a job with the Seattle Mariners as a catch coordinator. He also served as acting manager for the Tacoma Rainiers before being promoted to his current position as Lloyd McClendon’s third base coach.

John Stearns

Is something wrong with John Stearns? His illness details

John Stearns has been diagnosed with prostate cancer but is expected to make a full recovery in the near future. In January 2022, a potentially fatal condition was identified as the cause of his symptoms.

Stearns suffered a broken hip as a result of a fall in April this year. He also underwent surgery earlier this year for a hernia.

The New York Mets have stated that Stearns is suffering from an illness that could potentially take his life, but they are keeping their fingers crossed that he will recover soon.

Stearn’s career-ending injuries didn’t keep him out of baseball long after he left the game. In late 1986, the Milwaukee Brewers decided to give him a chance and sign him as both a scout and coach for their minor league team.

Additionally, the first of many ailments that plagued him throughout his career ended his 1980 season. Stearns began 1981 in the same position in which he had ended the previous year, that is, on the disabled list.

John Stearns current health status in 2022

Although John Stearns is currently unwell, doctors believe he will recover soon. In May of this year, his group published an official statement on its website.

After undergoing therapy, Stearns was interviewed, and over the course of the conversation, the “villain” shared some encouraging news with his loyal followers.

John Stearns is currently being treated for prostate cancer. He maintains an optimistic attitude regarding her speedy recovery.

He said: “When word gets out that I have cancer and people are immediately afraid of my death, it’s absolutely fantastic that they’ll reach out to me. In addition, it gives me the inspiration to fight even harder.”

After that he elaborated and said, “Because I’m going to fight it.”

Stearns underwent surgery to repair a hiatal hernia before beginning his spring season coaching duties. However, his recovery took significantly longer than expected, and on March 7, 2014 he finally had to resign from office.

The story behind John Stearns’ family, including his wife and children

John Hardin Stearns was born on August 21, 1951 in Denver, Colorado. He was welcomed into the world by his parents, Carle and Joan, who instilled in him a lifelong love of competitive sports from an early age. He had stated that participating in sporting activities was nothing more than something that had run in his family for generations.

In addition, Bill, John’s older brother, was a professional baseball player who fielded for the New York Yankees from 1971-1977. He spent the last four seasons of his career playing at Class AAA level.

Her younger brother Rick played linebacker for the Colorado Buffaloes, while her younger sister Carla excelled as a catcher for the University of Northern Colorado softball team.

Along the same lines, Stearns tied the knot with Martha Jo in the town of Boulder, Colorado. They chose Japan for their honeymoon because Stearns was playing in a Major League All-Star game there at the same time. The couple’s son also goes by the name Justin. Justin is a common name these days.

It is now believed that John Stearns has an income or net worth currently ranging between $1 million and $5 million.

Similarly, he has amassed an incredible fortune as a direct result of the main career he has had throughout his life, which is that of a baseball player.

John Stearns
John Stearns

John Stearn’s injuries

It was the first of many ailments that would plague him for the rest of his career, and the one that ended his 1980 season was the first of those injuries. Stearns started 1981 the same way he ended 1980 by being placed on the disabled list. After being sidelined for the first two weeks of the season, his return to the lineup consisted of pinch-hitting and playing first base and third base. When the Major League Baseball strike began in mid-June 1981, two months of the season were canceled. When he finally started catching regularly again at the end of May, he was doing pretty well on the plate. Stearns finished the season with a respectable .271 average, but his mileage was far less than in 1980, and he only had 14 extra base hits for the entire season. Play resumed in mid-August.

It seemed like Stearns would return to the strategy he used in 1980 in 1982, as his batting average was back at or above 300 for most of the first half of the season. Again, he was on track to have about 40 doubles, and he was even on track to steal nearly 30 bases. Stearns was selected to his fourth All-Star Game at age 30. After the break, he returned to batting with great success, but after a month he began to feel the effects of elbow tendinitis. After being placed on the injured list in mid-August, he made only three run-flat appearances for the remainder of the season.

The elbow injury that Stearns suffered in 1982, which caused him to miss the rest of the season, ultimately ruined his career. He was unable to play the opening games of the 1983 season and was placed on the disabled list in mid-April. Due to his weakness in throwing, he was only used as an emergency runner in a total of four games. He had a brief stint with the Triple A Tidewater team in 1984, playing in just one major league game for the first five months of the season. He was finally able to return to action in September, but he could only play as needed. After the season concluded, the Mets struck a deal with the Montreal Expos to acquire Gary Carter in exchange for Hubie Brooks, Mike Fitzgerald, Herm Winningham and Floyd Youmans. After becoming a free agent, Stearns attempted a comeback with the Ponce Lions of the Winter League, but injured his elbow again and was forced to leave the team. Another comeback attempt in 1985 with the AAA Denver Zephyrs of the Cincinnati Reds went well for him until he was hit by a pitch in mid-May. John Stearns retired from baseball in 1986 after making another attempt to return with the Texas Rangers during spring training.

John Stearn’s post-retirement journey

Stearns’ career-ending injuries did not prevent him from returning to baseball for an extended period. In the second half of 1986, the Milwaukee Brewers decided to hire him as a minor league scout and instructor. During the 1989 season, he worked as a bullpen coach for the New York Yankees. Thereafter, the Toronto Blue Jays organization chose to hire him to manage their Knoxville AA affiliate, the Knoxville Blue Jays, for the years 1990 and 1991. Under his leadership, the team qualified for the 1991 postseason.

1992 was the year Stearns worked as a scout for the Cincinnati Reds and 1993 was the year he became an ESPN broadcaster. In 1994, he returned to the Reds organization, this time serving as manager of the Reds’ rookie-level team, the Princeton Reds. Stearns was named Appalachian League Manager of the Year after his team’s triumph in the championship tournament. Thereafter, Stearns managed the Peoria Javelinas of the Arizona Fall League and led them to the league championship. This was the second championship Stearns had won in the minor leagues that year. Stearns then worked for the Baltimore Orioles organization from 1996 to 1998, during which time he served as both scout and first base coach.

During the 2001 season, Stearns played for the Mets.

In 1999, Stearns rejoined the New York Mets organization, this time serving as an advance scout for the team. After that, in 2000, he received the position of bench coach for the Mets. After the season concluded, he was fired from his position as third base coach, although he was later brought back. When Stearns was the Mets coach in 2000, younger fans got a chance to see just how enthusiastic and excited he could get. When the Mets’ Mike Piazza scored a run-scoring double in Game 1 of the National League Championship Series against the St. Louis Cardinals in 2000, the broadcaster wore a microphone for Fox Television. The game was played at Citi Field. The Mets went on to win the series by a score of four games to one, and Stearns’ audible exclamation “The monster’s out of the cage!” became the rallying cry for the team throughout the competition.

After two years coaching the Mets in the major leagues, Stearns was fired from his position but later hired as a scout for the 2002 season. In 2003 he assumed managerial responsibility for the Binghamton Mets and returned to the coaching bench. Despite having a terrible track record at AA Binghamton, he was given the AAA Norfolk Tides leadership position for the 2004 season. During the 2005 season, Stearns worked for the Mets as an itinerant draft coach.

Stearns severed his ties with the Mets on January 11, 2006, and shortly thereafter accepted a coaching position in the Washington Nationals minor league system. He managed the Nationals’ Double-A team, the Harrisburg Senators, for two seasons before managing the Nationals’ Triple-A affiliate team, the Columbus Clippers, for a season. He also ran the Clippers’ Triple-A subsidiary.

Stearns was hired by the Mariners in 2011 as the minor league catch coordinator. In 2012 he was promoted to career scout. After replacing third-base coach Jeff Datz in his position due to Datz’s cancer diagnosis, Daren Brown was named interim manager of the Triple-A Tacoma Rainiers on May 2, 2013. This came after Daren Brown replaced Datz. Stearns was given the position of the Mariners’ third base coach for the 2014 season, but resigned from the position before the start of the season to allow him to recover from surgery. Rich Donnelly took over in his place after he resigned.