Northeastern University Explosion: What Happened? motive explained

Explosion at Northeastern University

Police and the university say a package exploded at Northeastern University in Boston on Tuesday night. One of the employees suffered a small cut on his hand.

Authorities say the box was sent to Holmes Hall on Leon Street. At 7:18 p.m., the police arrived at the building. Superintendent Felipe Colon of the Boston Police Department said the bomb squad was able to secure a second item identical to the first.

Explosion at Northeastern University

what happened at school

According to two officers ABC News spoke to, the police’s first thought is that the small explosion on campus was not an accident.

Police and officials say Boston EMS is responding to the blast at the university and took the 45-year-old victim to a nearby hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening.

An item taken to Holmes Hall “exploded when a staff member opened it,” Northeastern University told WCVB, a Boston-based ABC station.

What did the information say?

The two sources say no explosives were found in a second suspicious package examined. Sources say authorities have investigated a number of reports of suspicious packages and have checked the buildings and post offices of Northeastern and other colleges in the area for similar-looking items.

Michael Cox, the chief of the Boston Police Department, said a number of campus buildings were evacuated. He urged people to come outside if they saw anything strange.

So what did the college say?

In a statement, the university said the building was evacuated and the Boston campus was warned at 7:55 p.m. “We will update the Northeastern community as new information becomes available,” the statement said.

Northeastern University Police have urged people to stay away from the area around Holmes Hall on campus while they investigate what happened.

Officials say the Boston Police Department Bomb Squad, Boston EMS and Boston Fire Department were all there to investigate what happened. A spokeswoman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said they are helping with the investigation.

School officials confirmed a package delivered to a Northeastern University building exploded when opened, sending one person to the hospital.

At a news conference Tuesday night, Boston police said a second package was also found and secured by the bomb squad.

Northeastern University said the package was sent to Holmes Hall on Leon Street around 7pm and exploded when a staff member opened it. This person, a 45-year-old man, suffered minor hand injuries and was taken to hospital.

Police provide briefing on Northeastern University bomb investigation

After a package exploded in a Northeastern University building on Tuesday, Boston police, the FBI, Mayor Michelle Wu and others released updates on the investigation.

The building was cleared by the Boston Bomb Squad, the Boston Police Department, the Boston Fire Department, and the Boston EMS. A person speaking for the FBI said they would help with the investigation.

At Tuesday night’s news conference, when asked if there was a threat to the public, police said the investigation was ongoing and more information would be released later. While investigators work, Northeastern University Police have made it clear that the campus is safe.

Northeastern University Police Chief Michael Davis said, “It is very important to know that our campus is safe and always will be safe.”

Todd McGhee, a former Massachusetts State Police officer and security expert, believes investigators can still learn something from the device, even though it exploded.

McGhee told NBC10 Boston, “Even if the device explodes, that doesn’t mean the pieces will fall apart.” “

Explosion at Northeastern University
Explosion at Northeastern University

People are on high alert because of what happened. Other colleges have warned students to report anything that seems odd.

Boston Mayor Michelle Wu said, “I take it very seriously that this city is the home of all young people. We want to make it clear that the safety and wellbeing of all our young people here is our top priority.”

Suffolk County District Attorney Kevin Hayden said in a statement, “We are keeping a close eye on what is going on in Northeastern and we stand ready to work with the school and our law enforcement partners in any law enforcement action possible.” Response from Boston Police and other agencies is the start of a thorough investigation to find out what happened here.”

Another suspicious package was found on Huntington Avenue near the Museum of Fine Arts, and police were called. Police later said it turned out to be false.

Police were called to the 1100 block of Cambridge Street on Tuesday night to investigate a suspicious package. However, it turned out to be an empty suitcase that had been left behind.

When a package explodes at Northeastern, the police investigate it

A package being sent to the building exploded on Tuesday night, prompting police to investigate what happened.

Jacob Isaacs said he was at Holmes Hall for class when they were told to leave.

“We were in class when we saw two police officers walking through the building. Looking out the window we saw a fire engine with all the lights on. Our teacher said, “I need to see what’s going on,” and when he did, he saw the fire truck move and a police car outside. Shortly thereafter, the fire alarm went off,” he says.

Isaacs also said they didn’t hear anything that sounded like an explosion before they saw first responders arrive.

“The police immediately put down barrier tape and told everyone to go back to the main road. Then one of the ladder trucks lifted a ladder onto the roof of the building and a firefighter with what I assumed was an ax drove onto the roof of the building,” said Ryan Di Corpo, another student who exited the building.

Eliane Meja, who goes to Northeastern University, was there when it all fell apart.

“A bomb had just gone off so we stayed here to see what else was going on. Then they started taking people out of that building. Even though it’s scary, I’m staying because I want to know what’s going on.” She spoke in Spanish.

Rafael Arias, another student, was on the other side of the building when the explosion happened.

“We just saw some police cars coming and the noise was really scary. I’m afraid for my safety because this building has many bedrooms so it scares me a lot. I was in another building next door. We didn’t know what was going on until we got the warnings,” he said in Spanish.

On Tuesday night, a package being sent to an academic building in Boston exploded, injuring a Northeastern University employee.

At 7:15 p.m., campus police were called to Holmes Hall for an explosion. The school’s journalism office, women, gender and sexuality study program, and campus writing laboratory are all located in the brick building on Leon Street.

The 45-year-old was taken to hospital by ambulance, where he was treated for a minor hand injury, officials said. During a news conference Tuesday night, a deputy police superintendent named Felipe Colon said a search of the area found another package that looked like the first. The Boston Police Department’s Bomb Squad later decided the second package was safe.

Michael Davis, the Northeastern University police chief, said that within a minute of the first call, an officer was at Holmes Hall. The campus was closed around 10 p.m. on Tuesday evening. Why the packages were sent to campus and how they got there is still under investigation.

The Associated Press said the second package was found near Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts on the edge of the Northeastern campus. Police did not say who the packages were sent to.

On September 13, a package sent to Holmes Hall at Northeastern University in Boston exploded. Emergency services and police moved out. (Nicholas Pfosi/Reuters)

More than 6,000 employees and lecturers work at the private university, which has around 22,000 first-year students. Students received emergency messages Tuesday night urging them to stay away from the area, and classes were canceled in at least six campus buildings. Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, two other schools in the Boston area, also sent out alerts.

At the press conference, Boston Mayor Michelle Wu said keeping schools safe is one of the city’s top priorities.

Wu said, “I take very seriously the fact that this city is home to everyone from our youngest students to college students and university staff.”

Campus police say the northeast campus will be open on Wednesday

BOSTON — A package exploded on the campus of Northeastern University in Boston late Tuesday. The school said one staff member was only slightly injured.

Authorities said they found another suspicious package near a well-known art museum and the FBI helped investigate.

Two packages were reported to the police in the early evening. One of them exploded. The Boston Bomb Squad dealt with a second package near the Northeastern campus, near the city’s Museum of Fine Arts.

NBC Boston said the package that kicked off kicked off when it opened near the university’s Holmes Hall, where the creative writing program and the women’s, gender and sexuality studies program are located. The FBI was said to be helping with the investigation.

Authorities declined to say more, but a Northeastern spokesman, Shannon Nargi, said in a statement that an unnamed university employee injured his hand in the blast. A Boston Police Superintendent named Felipe Colon said the victim was a 45-year-old man.

Police arrived on campus just before 7:30 p.m., and the university ordered students who were in the hall for an evening journalism class to leave the building.

Northeastern is a private university in downtown Boston with approximately 16,000 undergraduate students. WCVB-TV said one of their reporters, Mike Beaudet, was there teaching a class at the time. Beaudet told the station that his class had been moved outside, but neither he nor his students heard an explosion.