What is the Official Language of Belgium?
The three official languages of Belgium are not all equally well-spoken throughout the nation. 60% of Belgians speak Dutch as their first language, and it is one of three official languages along with French and German. The other 40% of the population mainly speaks German and French, though more and more people in Belgium are also picking up English.
Knowing how important language proficiency is to Belgium’s culture and economy—as well as what you can do to succeed there—pays off if you have any plans to travel or conduct business there.
Belgium is a modestly sized nation with modest masses (around 11 million). Its three international neighbors are Germany to the east, the Netherlands to the north, and France to the south. Brussels serves as its capital. Even though it’s frequently mistaken for being in Northern Europe, it’s actually in Western Europe. Dutch and German are also regularly used by Belgians in addition to the country’s official language of French.